Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Love of Labor

Tomorrow marks 8 weeks that we have had our sweet baby girl here in the world with us. Yes, the old cliche that time flies is true. I love being home with Gia. What do we do all day? Besides, eat, sleep, poop, pee, repeat? We play! We talk, sing, dance, listen to music, read books, Gia sleeps and I stare at her. Gia plays on her playmat and I stare at her. Gia kicks in her bouncy seat and I stare at her. And we also do laundry and dishes. Since G was born, the strangest thing has happened...I enjoy doing laundry and dishes! I used to HATE doing them. Despise it even. But now, I take joy in folding each of her tiny socks, hanging her rompers, stuffing her cloth diapers. Making sure everything is neat and put in it's place and ready for her when she needs it. I'll prop her up on a pillow in our bed and she'll watch me fold clothes intently, cooing occassionally. She's the best. 
Really, my baby rocks. I am afraid to say (well, type) it out loud (in writing) because I don't want to jinx us. BUT, she is awesome sauce. She sleeps like a champ at night, in her own crib. Oh, and she will put herself to sleep, gleefully smiling at her mobile until she passes out. Of course, we read a book and I rock her and sing to to her before I put her down. But she actually prefers to be put down and left alone sometimes. Last night she slept from 11:30-5:30, then went right back down until 8:30, and then we snuggled in bed until 10:30. So mommy got about 10 hours of sleep. Boo-ya. Thanks G!
The smiles she started cracking a few weeks ago are now guaranteed whenever she wakes up in the morning or from a nap. Even diaper changes, which used to be a screamfest, are now full of smiles and baby talk. I think her first giggles are coming, soon...she is right on the brink! 
Every morning I wake up and look at her big round blue eyes and see that smile and I am just overcome with love and joy and gratitude. This little person is ours. She is all ours. How did we ever get so damn lucky? 

1 comment: