Saturday, July 23, 2011

Welcome to the time of our life

We're pregnant! Well, actually, I'm pregnant. But we're expecting! A baby! Yay!


I thought it would be fun to have a special place to share this journey with friends and family, and here it is.  Today I am 13 weeks and 2 days pregnant. That means I am just about in my second trimester...1/3 of the way closer to meeting poppy! Andy and I have taken to calling the baby poppy, because when we first found out about him/her s(he) was merely the size of a poppy seed. Can you believe that?! A freakin poppy seed. That's teeny-tiny! Now s(he) is a peach. That's a lot of growth in 10 weeks, if you ask me!


So I am sure you are wondering how it all began? Well if you're not, too frickin bad, I'm going to tell you anyway.  As I am sure you could have guessed, I peed on a stick. This is quite an obsessive and fun hobby for any woman hoping to get pregnant. Well, I had peed on a stick 2 days prior, and that second glorious line had not shown up. I was disappointed. But, I knew there was still some chance there could be a molecule (poppy seed) of a baby somewhere in my ute, so I woke on Monday morning, May 16th, and peed on another stick. Thank god I was getting the pee sticks from the dollar store, or we would be broke. Anyway, I peed on the damn thing with a bad attitude. I just KNEW it was going to be negative again, and was setting myself up for the disappointment. It was monday. I had to go to work. I was cranky. I didn't even take the time to stare at the stupid stick intently. I just left it on the window sill and hopped in the shower. Mid-shampoo, I figured at must have been 3 minutes, so I grabbed the stick to see that stark whiteness. Hmmmmm, not so stark white. There was the very faintest second pink line. My hand began to tremble. I put it back, rinsed my hair. Grabbed it again, squinted at the that second line, held the stick at different angles, looked at it from approximately 1 cenimeter away. Yep, faint line there. I finished my shower with a quickness and brought the stick into our bedroom. I shook Andy awake, "Do you see a second pink line?" Having never asked him this, he didn't know the implication of a second line. He looked, sleepy eyed, at the stick. "Yeah". Oh my god oh my god oh my god. "I think I'm pregnant". Shaky voice, shaky hand. He hopped out of bed to get into the shower. "No you're not, that test is from the dollar store." And he was off. 
After some discussion about the accuracy of dollar store pregnancy tests (can you blame him for being skeptical?!) we decided I would take a $15 digital test when we both got home from work. After the longest day of work I have ever experienced, we discovered:




And in case you were wondering how much I exaggerate, here is the dollar store test with the faint second line:



And so it was confirmed. Poppy is here. Let the journey begin!





No comments:

Post a Comment