Thursday, August 11, 2011

Ole!

Today marks 16 weeks, which means poppy is the size of an avacado! Here's some details about how poppy is growing: The fetus now measures about 4.3 to 4.6 inches and weighs about 2.8 ounces. The top of your uterus should be felt about three inches below your belly button. The baby's eyes can blink and the heart and blood vessels are fully formed. The baby's fingers and toes should have fingerprints.


In honor of the occassion, I think I will have some guacamole :)
It's already a known fact that poppy loves mexican food, as poppy forces me to eat it several times a week. Speaking of food, I'm scared. Up until about 12 weeks I basically had to force myself to eat, and hardly anything looked or sounded appetizing. I lost 5-6 pounds. Well, my appetite is back. With a vengance. I can't seem to eat enough. Which seemed like reason to celebrate until I realized that I gained 3 pounds last week alone. Not cool. At that rate, I'll gain 72 pounds before this baby is born. NOT going to happen! So, I am trying to replace ice cream and cake with fruit, chips with carrots and celery, blah blah blah. I still have a feeling I will need to eat all day long, so I'm going to have to make some smarter choices.

In other news, I bought some maternity jeans yesterday and felt like a new person wearing them. Wow! I have not worn jeans in probably 8 weeks, so this was big. I was strutting my stuff and feeling like a million bucks. The construction workers down the street even whistled at me! (Idiots. I'm freakin pregnant). Truly amazing what a little denim can do for the self-esteem. 

Oh, and my belly rash went away! I am thinking it was the penincillin, as it was almost completely gone within 48 hours of my last pill. Nevertheless, I go back to the doc today for a follow-up. I could probably cancel the appt, but I would never do that because now every time I go in I get to hear poppy's heartbeat on the doppler. It's this little plastic tool, kinda like a walkie-talkie with a wand attached. The nurses rubs the wand on my belly and hold it still when she finds the heartbeat. Then we get to listen and it is truly the most beautiful, amazing sound in the world! I could listen all day. Unfortunately she usually only holds it there for about 20 seconds, until she can get the heartrate (which has been consistently around 164 btw). Anyway, I am super duper looking forward to that today. 

Speaking of beautiful sounds, I wrote a lullaby for poppy last night. I have always wished to be a songwriter, but was never quite able to find the inspiration. Well, it looks like poppy might be it! I recorded it on my keyboard and am going to notate it today. I want to start singing a few melodies regularly, since poppy's ears are developing. I read that when babies are born they can recognize melodies they heard regularly in the womb. How amazing! I can't want to look into my babies eyes and sing him/her to sleep. Aaaaaand, I'm crying. But what's new. I still cry at least 3-5 times a day, but the episodes only last from 2-30 seconds. Well, sometimes longer, but not as regularly. I love pregnancy hormones!

Here I am yesterday, about 10 days short of 4 months pregnant. A lot of people tell me I just look chubby and you can't tell I'm pregnant, but when I look in the mirror I see my beautiful baby. 



Ok, off to bake some zucchini bread, so poppy can get her veggies later ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment